In 1945 the United States Navy Commissioned thirty Yard Patrol vessels to supply its far flung Pacific bases. Fifteen shipyards on the Pacific coast were contracted to each build two vessels, for a total cost of approximately $15,000,000. Two of these ships, the YP-633 and YP-634, were built at the Chilman Shipyard located at Hoquiam, Washington. Designed after the famed tuna clippers of the day, which reached the far corners of the Pacific to help feed the nation, these 700 ton, 128 foot vessels had a carrying capacity of 300 tons of refrigerated cargo. They had a fuel capacity of approximately 25,000 gallons with a range of 7,000 miles.